The 2nds Fall Short Again

Houghton Main 139 all out (Hickman 3-34, Watson 3-20)
S.C.C.C 120 all out.

The second team entertained Houghton Main knowing that a win could see them almost safe. However usual tricks at abbeydale…scoreboard wasn’t working…people not ready for the warm up and before we knew it we were fielding.

Bully opened the bowling and struggled after 2 weeks off but other opener Fielding bowled a tidy spell without any rewards.
Fielding was replaced by Hancock, who got the break through LBW and then a simple catch to Israr (finishing with figures of 2-13 off his 5). It became 65-4 when Benjy picket up two quick wickets and 80-6 when Billy (who bowled beautifully with out much luck) and Riaz struck in consecutive overs. Butts’ best friend Jones came in at 8 this time and after a couple of sighters he opened his shoulders hitting four 6’s and a 4. Bully came back for his second spell and dismissed the danger man straight away with a caught and bowled. 129-7 became 139 all out with 2 more wickets for Bully and 1 for Benjy. We wanted 120 all out but we were happy and if it handn’t been for Jones’ innings it would have been 80 all out.

A good start was required and at 1-1 we didnt get it, Walton caught behind. Khuram and Israr got us back on track moving the score to 30 before Khuram was out LBW. Billy was next and along with Israh looked comfortable and in control until Bill dragged a sweep onto his stumps. Riaz and Israr took the score to 89-3 and we should have won the game from there. However Israr fell in the same over and panic struck the side. Bully took his test match form into the game hitting a few boundaies until he played around one and was bowled. Benjy ran himself out, Colton and Fielding Lbw and Hancock bowled and the game was over. From 89-3 to 120 all out.

We should have taken 14 points againt Barnsley away and now at home to Houghton Main. This would see is safe and no worries about the last game of the season against Shiregreen.

Leave a Reply